The Count's Castle In Wrisbergholzen
Steel engraving dating from around 1850 from the original in the possession of the count's family of Goertz Wrisberg, Wrisbergholzen
One of the most beautiful castles of Lower Saxony
The aristocratic Wrisberg family have had possessions and estates in the former episcopal village since the early Middle Ages, recorded in 1146 as being ,,curtis Holthusen". It was here, in a delightful landscape location, the baron Rudolph Johann built one of the most beautiful baroque castles of Lower Saxony. With a large, two-storied central section and the right-angled forward left and right of the castle wings it formed the edge of the property, which is flanked by elegant farm buildings.
Appearing above the arch of the main entrance is the owner’s name, and that of his wife Christina Henriette of Goertz; and in the triangled gable of the central part of the building the alliance coat of arms shows the date of 1745, the year of completion of the castle. On the ground floor a large dining hall lies beyond a spacious entrance hall. A staircase leads to the above splendor hall with beautiful stucco ornaments, going over two floors.
A picture book of a rare type is presented to the eye in the wing to the left of the castle. The walls of a room are decorated in the Dutch style with 680 differently painted emblem tiles from the tin-glazed pottery factory which operated from 1736 to 1835 in Wrisbergholzen.
Sadly, the designer was able to enjoy the wonderful house with its rich configuration for only twenty years. On his death in 1764 ownership went to his niece, the daughter of his brother who had died young. She married Carl Friedrich von Schlitz, also known as von Goertz, so bringing together the names of Goertz and Wrisberg. It is this family, who have held the title of count since 1817, in whose ownership the estate and castle remains to this day.
Count Goertz of Wrisberg, who died in 1986, did not have the financial means to complete the urgently needed renovation work. The result was that the once magnificent 20 acre park, with its valuable collection of rare trees, took on something of a wilderness in appearance.
Following H. M. Humburg (from the Hildesheimer Allgemeine Zeitung)
Two expert members of the association have, for some time, also been active in the care of the castle park.
The orangerie (ornate conservatory) and the side entrance to the castle park are exactly opposite the factory buildings.
Society in the castle park Wrisbergholzen,
Original in private property
The plan detail above (circa 1815) shows the
tin-glazed pottery factory to the left of the "Fabriek Garte"
(factory garden), and below this the castle area, surrounded by a
On the left, between two larger farm buildings, is the entry to the estate's yard, and opposite, to the right, one sees the castle, and behind it the way to the castle park.
You are able to find more detailed information of the founding and history of the castle estate here.
The Evangelical parish church
Directly opposite the entrance to the count's estate yard, on the edge of the picture to the left, is situated the church of the small village of Wrisbergholzen, which is able to offer a yet longer history:
There is proven evidence that a church belonging to the Hildesheim monastery of St Michael was in existence by the 2nd half of the 11th century.
The west tower of the complex, which appeared in the 17th century, was constructed from quarried ashlar stone originating from around 1200.
Once inside one can admire, amongst other things, a beautiful pulpit constructed of wood seated on a bulbous eight-sided-column, as well as the founder’s coat of arms of von Münchhausen/von Wrisberg dated 1621, as well as numerous oil paintings .
and history of the castle system
The tile hall in the castle Wrisbergholzen
Emergence and history of the manufacture
Back to Homepage
Remark: Much work has been spent on these pages following automatic translation some time ago, and the German translator has recently startet again to improve the English part of the website, now with the friendly support by Adam, a native speaker from UK, giving him many hints and corrections in order to produce a better or - in the end - even a good translation. Many thanks to Adam!
The Association For the Preservation of Historical Buildings of Wrisbergholzen